BoKlok is an established and successful partnership between Skanska and IKEA.
At BoKlok we are not just focused on building new homes, but sustainable new communities for the long term.
We are committed to always reviewing and advancing our methods and our processes to ensure that we deliver high quality homes that have minimal impact on their environment.
We achieve this in a number of ways.
IKEA has adopted and expanded the concept of “democratic design” around five key principles: form, function, sustainability, quality and low price.
At BoKlok, we have adopted IKEA’s approach to democratic design, and we have incorporated this throughout our production processes.
Learn about Modern Methods of Construction
By manufacturing our homes in a factory, we can be more efficient, reduce unnecessary costs and protect our homes from the weather. We complete up to 90% of the homes in the factory and only 10% out on the construction site.
Building in modules
Building in modules has many advantages. It enables us to reduce costs, maintain consistent and high quality and reduce the impact on the environment and the climate.
Our homes consist of various modules that are then assembled into either two or three-bedroom semi-detached or terraced houses or into one or two-bedroom apartments.
Our houses in the UK are manufactured in a factory in Derby by TopHat, a technology-driven modular housing manufacturer. Our apartments are manufactured in Estonia by Harmet, a leading provider of modular housing.
Combining standardisation with adaptability
We are convinced that it is possible to combine standardised house types and adaptability. By using standard house types, we can achieve greater efficiencies and reduce costs, while still delivering a high-quality product. However, at the same time, we need our homes to be adaptable, so that our new developments fit within their local surroundings.
To achieve this, we have external variations, which allow us to tailor each development, ensuring that it complements the architectural style of the local area.
Grönhult - our own test lab for the future of homes
As part of our work to test sustainable solutions, we are building BoKlok Grönhult in Malmö, Sweden. It's an exciting pilot project, where several new sustainable solutions will be tested and evaluated in practice.
Sustainable construction Show all
Where are BoKlok homes built?
Our houses in the UK are manufactured by TopHat, a technology-driven modular housing manufacturer. Constructed in their factory in Derby, the houses are then transported to site, where any final fixings are completed.
Our apartments are manufactured by Harmet and are built in Estonia. The modules are then transported to the UK by ferry. Only trucks with an emission class of EURO 5 or higher are used to transport the modules by road. When transported across the sea, only ferries using low-sulphur fuels are used, to minimize the climate impact.
Why are you manufacturing your homes in a factory?
By manufacturing our homes in a factory, we can be really efficient, reduce unnecessary costs and protect our homes from adverse weather. We complete up to 90% of the homes in the factory, with the remaining 10% completed on the construction site. We call it modern and innovative construction, although we have been doing it for over 25 years!
How do you demonstrate your commitment to sustainability?
Sustainability permeates our entire business, from material selection through to how we work on site. Our goal is to become climate neutral by 2030, and we will achieve this by thinking sustainably throughout the value chain and in all our processes. We don't just build homes; we build sustainable communities. For us, it is important to create something long-term for those who are going to live there.
Which material do you use?
At BoKlok we build all our homes in wood. It is the material that has the lowest carbon footprint of all building materials, which means that our houses have significantly lower climate impact than the average newly built house. We are convinced that wood is an important part of the transition to a sustainable construction industry.
Skanska and IKEA unite to develop a new concept that would make more homes accessible to more people.